Data Engineering Lead
Avalanche Strategy • Washington, D.C, Vancouver or Flexible
Avalanche Strategy conducts cutting edge public opinion research that leverages advances in cognitive science and AI to yield deep insights into values, emotions, and attitudes. We support resonant messaging for candidates, companies, and causes that share our mission to create a more just, equitable, and sustainable future. We are backed by Higher Ground Labs and work with the leading progressive organizations in the the US and Canada.
About the Role:
As the Data Engineering Lead, you will play a key role in scaling a tested product. On the technical side, designing, building, and using the next generation of the systems we use to collect, store, and access our complex library of data — and on the team side, supporting the engineering standards, practices, and people that will allow Avalanche to help more progressives win.
- An experienced engineer who is excited to build good software & good teams.
- You are comfortable making hard decisions about short and long-term designs in a startup where we learn something new every day, work collaboratively, fail often & pursue excellence.
- You prioritize understanding your users and their needs, both clients and colleagues.
- You understand clear communication, trust, and morale affect performance above all else.
Responsibilities & Tech Stack:
- Design, build, maintain, and use systems for the processing, transformation, safe storage, and access of complex, varied, and frequently evolving data.
- In particular, systems that take in data such as survey responses from weekly national tracking polls, and process it for use by analysts and models.
- Establish the engineering practices and culture that will allow a novel data product to scale to accommodate significant growth, increasing complexity, and multiple use cases.
- The majority of our codebase is currently in R and Python, but we are open to new tech stacks as appropriate. Strong preference for proven technologies, ex: Flask w/Postgres+SQLAlchemy.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- 3-5 years experience developing software in a team environment
- Ideally a track record, but at least an enthusiasm, for building and leading exceptional teams
- Substantial experience with database design, and with the needs of data science
- An enthusiasm for progressive politics, and the mission of the company.
- Prefer DC or Vancouver but can be flexible for the right candidate.
We are committed to building a workplace that reflects the diversity of communities we serve. We especially encourage women, people of colour, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
To express interest or refer a candidate, please send a brief note and either resume or LinkedIn profile to email@example.com. We’ll get in touch to talk deets and determine fit. We’re looking to close the position as soon as possible so please apply sooner rather than later.