Icebreaker • Remote
Full Time · Remote
At Icebreaker, we’re building an entirely new digital experience that prioritizes the depth & authenticity of human connections over the volume of likes and views. We’re helping communities build stronger relationships among their members, and driving towards a better world — where people feel deeply connected to the communities that matter most to them, where loneliness and hostility decline, and where cooperation and empathy are the norm.
We believe in creating a truly happy place to work. Our founders — a social-change technologist, an activist turned entrepreneur, and a community organizer — are movement builders with a track record of success from Change.org, Hustle, MIT Media Lab, Facebook, and some of the biggest political movements of the past decade.
This position, like all positions at Icebreaker, is located wherever on the planet you happen to be.
Our Dream Candidate
We’re excited to be hiring our first full-time engineer and Employee #1! Our dream candidate would have the following qualities:
- Extremely strong technical chops. As our first engineer, you’ll set the bar for excellence. You will make the most important engineering decisions and be responsible for implementing them.
- Infrastructure, backend API services, and data systems are your wheelhouse. Ideally, we’d like someone stronger on the backend to complement the team’s frontend experience. Fluency with devops tooling and processes would be a plus.
- Startup Mentality. Startups are fast-paced, ever-changing, and uncertain. You will wear many hats. As Employee #1, you’ll at least need to be okay with that – and ideally, you’ll embrace it.
- Startup Wisdom. You will constantly need to weigh the need to invest in infrastructure against the urgency of getting features out the door. We’ll rely on you to make reasonable choices constantly.
- Belief in our mission. Community should play an active role in your life. You understand our mission and believe in the company’s potential to realize it.
As our first engineer, you will:
- Own the design and implementation of our core infrastructure, backend services, and data model
- Lead the development of our highest priority features
- Help maintain and improve the development environment and continuous integration systems
- Act with the highest personal integrity and ethics
- You’re a sophisticated and fluent software developer with your preferred language and platform. (Icebreaker is built with Clojure & Clojurescript on top of the JVM, React JS, and Node JS, so experience with or interest in these platforms is a plus.)
- 5+ years experience developing web software, including 2+ years in a senior role
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and ever-changing startup environment
- Passion for building authentic connection in an increasingly disconnected world
Interested? Send your resume and a short note about you to email@example.com